There was not as many facts for Empire Strikes Back as there were for A New Hope, but I still found loads of interesting stuff. And to be honest, reading all of them for the purpose of this post, I’ve come to realise that George Lucas might have been a bit difficult to work with. Which disappointed me a bit, as I’ve always enjoyed watching him on the special features talk about making the movies. So in discovering some amazing things about the film, unfortunately I also came to learn a few negative facts about the creator himself.
• The scene in which Luke retrieves his lightsaber using the force was achieved by Mark Hamill throwing the lightsaber away and then running the clip in reverse! Now that is cool!
• So he didn’t have to share creative rights, George Lucas used his money from Episode IV A New Hope, plus a bank loan to produce the film himself. The risky moved paid off because he made his money back within the first three months of the films release. AND as a thank you, he shared the profits with his employees! Now that’s an awesome boss!
• Yoda’s iconic manner of speech has the parts of speech in Object Subject Verb order. Very few languages on Earth use this and most are based in the Amazon river basin.
• Darth Vader sarcastically inviting Han to dinner is the only time in any of the “Star Wars” films that Vader speaks directly to Han.
• In each Star Wars film, the line “I have a bad feeling about this” is spoken by one of the characters. In this film, Leia says it.
• Ok I did NOT KNOW this one, apparently George Lucas initially called this the worst Star Wars film, and apologised for its existence. (Was he crazy? blind?deaf?) Anyway he quickly changed his mind after finding out that it’s actually the favourite among a lot of fans.
• Boba Fett has only four lines in the film.
• The bounty hunter dressed all in white is named Dengar. His backstory is that he was once a fierce rival of Han Solo’s, and was badly beaten by him. He vowed revenge and has been hunting Solo for some time.
• George Lucas was so concerned about the ending being leaked by crew members, that he had the actor playing Darth Vader say the line “Obi-Wan killed your father” on set. Only 5 people new the real ending before the films release!
• David Prouse, the body actor of Darth Vader, was unaware that Darth Vader was Luke’s father until he saw the film and was quite upset with George Lucas, aying his physical acting would have been completely different if he’d known the real line.
• Darth Vader’s name comes from the following: “Darth” is a variation of the word “Dark” and “Vader” is the Dutch word for “Father”.
• Having Han Solo frozen in carbonite was (at least in part) due to the fact that they were not sure that Harrison Ford would come back and make a third film.
So is Empire Strikes back your favourite Star Wars film? Is the original trilogy your fav, or do you prefer Episode 1-3? Please, leave a comment, and let me know, I love discussing the Star Wars movies!
“No. Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda